Monday, April 22, 2013

CSE 619:


I have to be honest, it took me a couple times reading sentences over to fully understand what is being said. After kind of getting the flow of the text it got me thinking that there is a lot more than what I originally thought that goes into creating your own community. The first couple of paragraph got the layout of the baser needs of the community. At first I was a little afraid that I would actually have to make my own community.
Reading The Public Domain Enclosing the Commons of the Mind match what I already understand with how things always start at a base point but grows and expands on the point that came before it. The quote in the book, “…while the facts below (and ideas above) would remain free for all to build upon” (page 57, paragraph 3, (Boyle, 2008)) is where I made the connection of building upon what is our prior knowledge.
The information that is given in The Public Domain Enclosing the Commons of the Mind has very good evidence to back up its arguments by using reports, studies and databases from different places around the world. I think it is very smart that Boyle also compares different databases like the European Database Directive and the U. S. database directive.
The chapters about songs and particularly the song written by Mr. Randle and Micah Nickerson was a little out there compared to what was being said in the chapters before. Reading the song called “George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People” got me a little upset because I hate to think that at this day in age we still have to fight through segregation.
 This part of the book has me thinking that I really need to be aware of my students and how I act with all of them. I need to be aware if anyone is feeling like I am picking on them more than others. I remember when I was in high school and in my English class we were playing a game of Jeopardy to study for the upcoming test. As we were playing the game the teacher was making calls that helped one team more than it did the other. I remember being very upset about it because she was picking favorites.
I work with second and third graders at an after school care and I pride myself on how I try my hardest not to have favorites and make sure my instructions are fair for everyone.  I believe that the worst thing that a teacher can do is show that they have favorites and are not fair in their decisions.
To be the best teacher I can be I will treat every student equally. I will make sure I have in place for myself ways to make sure my decisions will be fair for all of my students. I will spend my time as evenly as possible with all of my students. Last but not least, I will make sure my students know that they can come talk to me about anything.

1 comment:

  1. Diana,
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts this week! One thing that I found quite interesting about your post was your thoughts on fairness in the classroom. I will agree with you 100% in the fact that a classroom should be equal for all. However, that is easier said than done. It is in our human nature to click with some people more than others. This goes for students in your class as well. You are bound to enjoy some more than others. However, where I think your post was really strong was in communicating that every student should be treated equally regardless. Even if we enjoy some students more than others, it can never show in our actions. This is something that I work really hard to accomplish in my classroom. I think that it has served me fairly well. In fact, some students that I did not enjoy at all the first time I taught them became some of the most enjoyable the second time around. I think that if you are conscientious of this idea, then you will be successful at it. If you pride yourself in being fair, then you will be. I also believe that this will lead your students to respect you exponentially more in the long run!

    ReplyDelete